Paterson Back In Her Element!
Although still dealing with injury, Lesley Paterson is back to her winning ways. Three for three this year at Xterra triathlon races, winning Xterra Costa Rica, Xterra West Champs and this past weekend Xterra Southeast Champs. She most likely won’t race Xterra until the World Champs in Maui, as she’ll be focusing on making the Great Britain Olympic Mountain Bike Team.
Short race recap (from Xterra, full report CLICK HERE):
In the women’s race two-time XTERRA World Champion Lesley Paterson was the sixth pro woman after the one-mile swim in Double Oak Lake, took the lead about a one-third of the way through the 20-mile mountain bike stage, and won comfortably in 2:39:13, more than four-minutes ahead of runner-up Emma Garrard of Park City, Utah.
Quotes from Paterson on the event post race:
Lesley Paterson (winner of three straight this year at XTERRA Costa Rica, West Champs, now here. It’s the third time if four years she has won this race, and she missed last year due to injury).
- Just tried to stay smooth. I had a couple slips out on the bike early so once I took the lead I just wanted to keep the rubber side down.
- Swim is still tough with the shoulder (she fractured it pre-riding in Costa Rica) and I was a little sore bumping around on the bike, but it has been improving.
- Great to be back and winning races.
- This course is very rooty, twisty, turny … so I tried to recreate that training in San Diego before the race by practicing cornering and all that stuff. It’s a technically challenging course.
- I love the Southern hospitality here, the people are so sweet and the volunteers were great.
- It was a really tough day out there for the whole field so hope everyone gets through their injuries and tough times and comes out stronger.